I had a Cara Cara Orange for the first time a few weeks ago and I officially have a new second favorite fruit (nothing can touch pineapple). The problem was the person who gave me the oranges had no idea what they were. After some research and shopping a couple of stores, I found it (and the last bag too)! I've had a great time just eating them, making margaritas, and making cookies using these oranges!
Makes about 5-6 dozen, depending on size.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons juice from 1/2 cara cara orange
Extra sugar for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until fully mixed.
3. In a second bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
4. Add the egg, vanilla, and orange juice to the butter mixture. Mix until combined.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until a dough forms. It will be very sticky!
6. In a small bowl, pour a couple spoonfuls of sugar. Take about a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, then roll in the sugar. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool on sheet for about 2 more minutes, then move to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod